- Music -

Words feed and music heals but performance inspires the soul.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

A waste of "emotional mind-boggling cells"


Yesterday, I had a chat with a friend in the taxi as we were going home. And the topic really frustrated me in the vehicle. It was as if there was a decision to be made or an epiphany to be struck. It was as if I had been living wrongly and should change my way of life. Going to university meant meeting new friends. With a new group of friends, it meant getting to know new people with new sets of ideals. This group seems very different from what I guess I have been interacting with. Although I have made it clear that I don’t necessarily clique with all kinds of people, the ones I have met so far are usually study oriented. They focus a lot on their grades with consistency. That’s me too. This group, however, has a few individuals that divert from my norm.

So yesterday my friend and I were talking a bit about growing up, going out and studies. He is a very “on” person. He loves to hang with friends with any free time he possess. Me? I put studies first. So he was telling me that I may have not let go of my “small girl mentality”. I didn’t agree but I didn’t exactly disagree either. I said this could be due to the lack of going out with friends. It has always been school, CCA and home for me. It was always a daily routine with the exception of holidays after examinations. If I do go out, though rarely, it is always with the same group of friends, which I have to admit, pamper me. I guess the lack of going out gave me little chance in making my own decisions and thus, grow up. The conversation made me feel like I should change my way of life and the fact that I am going to graduate at only 21 years old makes it seem like I should make good use of this limited time.

What bullshit.

Thinking back, that is all nonsense and a waste of “emotional mind-boggling cells”. There is nothing wrong with being studious. I mark my grades to be of high priority constantly and not only during important examinations. I am not going to wing through uni after putting in so many years of hardwork. No. I do what I am comfortable with. Going out when I should be studying or resting so as to absorb better will make me feel so guilty. No. I am who I am and I’ll be who I feel is right.