- Music -

Words feed and music heals but performance inspires the soul.

Monday, February 20, 2012

My thoughts on 步步惊心 theme of dreams

Decided to blog about a rather famous or popular drama series that have been showing recently- 步步惊心. I am still in the midst of enjoying the show but I've gotten random comments and description of the ending. Personally, I feel that a theme is more of dreaming rather than transcending time. That is, well from what I gathered about the ending. My comments shall be very personal and not at all absolutely right.

The play (I guess) bespeaks of the ability of one to manipulate ones dreams as well as the lack of control one feels in the surreal world. Her (lead actress' character) ability to control is seen through choice. Her choice of who she knows, who she is close with, who she falls in love with, her status etc. For example, she chooses which princes she knows on a personal level. She chooses them as they are the ones who have left a significant mark in history. The crown prince, the next emperor, the respected 8th prince, the goofy one, the chief commander and of course, a good looking one who shares her views so that she doesn't feel so lost in an era that does not belong to her.

She also chooses to be able to gain the respect of many, including high ranking persons such as the emperor himself. She chooses to be caught in the dilemma between two great catches, both of which are awfully fond of her. So between the two, who should she pick? The future emperor ofcourse. The final act of control lies in her impactful death.

The lack of control in ones dream is also shown through instances such as the inevitable end of her not being able to marry her "lover" and the earlier deployment as a palace laundry woman. The fear and anxiety she feels while serving his majesty, as shown through the diagnosis of the imperial doctor, also mimicks the feeling of a "mini heart attack" a normal person may sometimes encounter in his sleep.

I'm not criticizing the playwright as a professional critic or as a literature student. I am just giving my humble opinions on what I feel is a clever use of dreams. For all you know, this may not have even crossed the playwriter's mind. Just giving a penny of my thoughts here. It is still quite a moving show that I believe is worthy to watch. :))