- Music -

Words feed and music heals but performance inspires the soul.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mrs. Montag

30 day writing challenge
Topic: Addiction (day 17)
When you're not thinking, your subconscious takes over and makes you feel. When you feel and do not understand, you are hollow. Some want to do nothing but as the pressure inside becomes too much, they explode. Some will try to fill it with other thoughts and acts, but it is almost akin to throwing balls into hoops at the wrong side of the court. When you don't find a proper way to face your skeletons, you start becoming undead. When that happens too often, you become addicted to being half-alive. Fulfill yourself by staring your emptiness in the face and ask the right questions. The answers will then come much easier than you think.

Inspired by the book, Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury. 

Mrs. Montag
I got my stomach pumped tonight.
That’s no big deal. Everyone has done it.
It is almost a weekly routine for me.
In fact, I crave it.
They inject you with this amazing concoction
of dancing colors after you get pumped. It helps
you forget your pain.
They call it Euphoria.
I have tasted it so many times, the body has become
more resilient than the burning flames on the next
government street.
Protocol is to up the dose.
I crave protocol,
so I make sure I’ll always take one pill more than the last.

My insane husband has fled to join the hippies
on the tracks. Something about giving
happiness a try. I call it naivety.
Do I miss him? Well, I get the parlor walls
all to myself and the seashells are never offed
these days. I listen to them as I count the capsules.

The bombings in the adjacent city make the best songs
for each session. Upbeat and dynamite.
The poison coursing through my empty veins,
slowly seeping into my hollowed mind. Hear
the low hum of the machine, sucking the sleep
out, next to me. It sounds like his voice.
Euphoria. It brings me to the perfect world,
their perfect world, my perfect world.