- Music -

Words feed and music heals but performance inspires the soul.

Thursday, May 07, 2015

Family Myraid

30 day writing challenge
Topic: Family (day 8)
Looking at my grandmother today and seeing how worn out she is breaks my heart. She hardly speaks and she stares into space, a lot. I can never tell what she is looking at. I don't dare to assume. I haven't seen her smile for a long time. It has been months since she was happy. That was during Chinese New Year. She is always elated to see her family all gathered together in a joyous mood. Our happiness is her content. She is an amazing woman. This is a tribute to her.

Family Myraid
4 years 6 months and a day - I have not spoken a word. The
corners of my bed define the purple sky where the pink and thistle
mocking birds fly. Olive greens and orange daffodils dress me
today. They smell of bitter honey and brown drops of caramelized coffee.

Kids? I had 7. He promised me the rosy world and I gave up mine,
shooting tiny stars out of my coral womanly womb. Grandchildren?
More than my mind can count. Under the layers of bleach,
I sit atop the mattress that cores my red. I used to sing the shadows

away. Now I watch the gray world pass by me. Ivory walls with
hypnotizing indigo drawings. I see their work more than their
peachy looks. They see their work more than my hazel eyes. I've not
seen my face in 4 years 6 months and 2 days. I see only the devil.

The lines paint my story. This one on my thigh represents an
effort, golden ages ago, to impress the sweet invalid on the left,
who now walks with one leg, pees through a tube and lives on
a tiny orange bottle of pills. The navy cadet I adore now counts

the digits, in rows of four, every cadmium sunrise. He thinks he will
win the turquoise world and make good his promise. Idiot. This
one at the corner of my eye comes from the littlest. When she
moved, the vacuum drew a stream for the crystal rivers. This last

one between my milk machines is favorite. Ignore the nipples,
abused and chewed up in burly love. This line, now sienna, burns
still. It conceals proof that they chose to give me life. Parts
of me is laced with silver silver, parts with steel steel but the

bisque pacemaker is best. It represents the fuchsia unity I long
for so dearly. There is little opportunity for that now. But soon
they will buy a box, together, that sends me to the fiery gardens.
I don’t think they know my favorite color.